On October 27, 2011, forty-seven middle school students in St. Clair Township, OH were treated for pesticide poisoning. Students were treated for illnesses such as nausea, headaches, dizziness, and difficulty breathing. Six were taken to area hospitals. The pesticides were applied – according to label instructions – to the playing fields outdoors. The children were indoors yet 47 students fell ill. Does this not scream, “PESTICIDES ARE DANGEROUS!!!”?
The symptoms described above are often associated with school-aged children which indicates that pesticide related illness often goes unrecognized and unreported. Countless scientific studies cite irrefutable evidence that pesticide exposure to children causes far higher rates of cancer, autism, ADHD, birth defects, learning disabilities, organ damage and more. According to a report in January 2003 from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, children nationwide aged 6 – 11 have higher concentrations of pesticide residue in their bodies than any other age group. And the EPA concurs that children’s developing bodies are less able to detoxify toxic chemicals. Again, does this not scream, “PESTICIDES ARE DANGEROUS!!!”?
The evidence is indisputable. The studies linking pesticides to diseases are numerous and contain blatant association of illnesses, defects, abnormalities, etc. to pesticides even at levels considered to be ‘safe’ such as following the package labels for application. So what gives?
Consumers need to wake up!
We have the right to demand that our children not be awash in pesticide drift. And go beyond the children – think about yourself, your pets, the next generation who will need exorbitant health care just to manage through all the disease we brought on ourselves.
Several states have gotten a clue and begun to ban certain pesticides or to enact legislation that requires any pesticide spraying be done when no children are nearby. That is a step forward but government and its many hands in many pies can only do so much. Case in point, this incidence in Ohio was an everyday occurrence – the chemicals were applied according to the label instructions (regulated), no children were present (not required but good practices), and it was an approved pesticide (regulated) – yet many students became ill, some to the point of hospitalization. And these chemicals in their bodies won’t just go away… They are now a part of their growing bodies sort of like plastic in the landfill.
As a consumer, as a parent, as a citizen and as a resident of planet Earth, we must demand the cessation of the use of toxic pesticides! This situation that poisoned 47 kids was a pesticide sprayed to remove clover on an athletic field. Really? The health of our children is disposable due to the presence of some harmless plant that has no effect on the ability to use the athletic field but merely diminishes the aesthetics of wanting a sea of green grass. That represents some seriously warped priorities but I do not blame the public as so few know the truth about these dangerous chemicals.
The acceptance of natural products is a slow, uphill climb as the mindset of so many is ‘the stronger the chemical the better’. Greenbug all natural pest control products kill and repel all the pests you do not want – safely, effectively and without any harm to humans, animals or the environment.
The statistics and data are irrefutable that pesticides are dangerous and particularly so for children. Take a step to challenge the unhealthy norm of synthetic, toxic chemicals and demand they not be used around your children. Write your elected officials, refuse to use toxins in your home, and if you are really motivated, inquire at your school and at the local businesses you frequent and make a point to let them know how dangerous these pesticides are. No right-minded individuals would intentionally poison the masses – they just don’t know it is happening.
The truth is, pesticides are dangerous whether we whisper it or scream it. Just ask those 47 middle school students in Ohio – they know all about it.